filling in question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed the plasterer his filled in gaps at the top of the walls(near ceiling) using finish he had left over from skimming the ceilings. hes not used any bonding or hardwall. what effect would this have filling the gap with finish coat instead of bonding. hes still yet to skim over the wall (can this cause cracking later??)

Sponsored Links
It will have no effect at all Vic. All he's done is to fill up the gaps with spare finish. As long as he puts tapes over the joints, there shouldn't be any cracking later.

Roughcaster.

cheers RC
maybe i should have explained better, the left over finish plaster he used to fill the gaps on the top of the walls, below the ceilings (where the coving would be) has all cracked every 10cm or so along the whole wall. but he has yet to put his final skim coat on the wall. does what you say still stand??

If he plastered the ceiling, I'd have thought he would have put a tape, half on the ceiling, half on the wall, and that would have taken in the joint/gap at the top of the wall. As long as it's sound it should be ok. It must have been a fairly big gap. I would still put tapes over the filling itself, and before it is skimmed, brush on pva over the now "dry" multi finish. Bonding would have been the better option for anything big/deepish.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
A 2" gap..I would have put an offcut of plasterboard into a gap that size. No wonder the multi finish dried and cracked. Ask him if he's sure that no problems will occur by filling up the gap the way he has. That's all I can say.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back