Help with ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, after a little bit of help with my bathroom ceiling. I've taken part of an old wall down and this has left a gap in the plaster where the wall met the ceiling. also there is part of the ceiling that is artex(left hand side of picture)

do i need to fill this gap and go over the artex with pva then bonding before i have it skimmed? or just fill the gap when i plaster it?

Sponsored Links
If the difference in level is just a coat finishing plaster (around 3mm thick) just knock all the little rough bits of brick, plaster & paint off, apply a coat of PVA & let it dry; PVA again & skim it over to level with Multi-Finish; you might have to give it a couple of coats if it’s thick. PVA & Re-skim the whole ceiling but don’t use Bonding, it’s intended for use as a base coat. Make sure the boards are well fixed to the joists; use extra screws if you have to. Reinforce any cracks, PVA & skim using multi-finish

Can’t really see the extent of the Artex in the pic; you can skim over it but if it’s just locally, I would remove it with a steam cleaner. It’s quicker to skim over it if it’s the whole ceiling but, personally, I always prefer to remove it. You need to get the ceiling as flat as possible before re-skimming; it may need more than one skim coat over Artex.

Richard, thanks for your reply. If i dont have a steam cleaner can you suggest another way of getting the artex off?
thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
Richard, thanks for your reply. If i dont have a steam cleaner can you suggest another way of getting the artex off?
thanks
Rob
Not really, you can hire them; you certainly don't wan't to use a sander as some (older) Artex has asbestos in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back