PLastering a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again everyone.

I wonder if any of you could tell me, can I skim over Carlite bonding. I have anther ceiling that is very uneven and has the most god awful a artex! Very protruding and sharp on a ceiling. This is my plan;

[1] Remove the sharp bit of artex with a trowl.

[2] scrim joins

[3] apply pva

[4] ?? apply a coat of Carlite bonding?? or onecaot plaster?? not sure which to use here! so that it helps with leveling the unevenness AND fills in some of those huge craters left by the artex.

[5] Apply two coats of multi finish.

Would this procedure be correct? Please help!

Thanks

GM

Sponsored Links
you seem to have ticked all the boxes yourself :D

if you are bonding the ceiling apply the finishing coat before the bonding dries otherwise you will have to pva it to stop the suction.

Thanks Alastair! It just helps to have someone confirm. I'm very grateful.

Go well

GM

Oh I forgot yo ask.....sorry.

Does it matter which I use? Onecoat or Cralite bondong?

Thanks
GM

Sponsored Links
i hate universal one coat :evil: carlite bonding will win the day :D
good luck.

what about WODE i want a wode finiish,
what wrong with a little wattle and daub?

You could use semolina and pva as a scratch-coat. Then finish off with self-levelling compound if you're prepared to put the ceiling on the floor first and nail up later

Disclaimer for the two posts above, its getting late and past their bedtime.
care in the community comes to mind.
the forum police have been informed. :D

Thanks again Alastair. You're a star! :)

Swidders, wdk both very good ideas. I tried both those techniques, both failed.
Could not resist tucking into the semolina, yum yum, not enough left for the ceiling now. As for the rest of it.....don't be ridiculous! :D Nothing wrong with a bit of humour! cheers chaps ;)

'twas once carlite bonding, is now thistle bonding.

alistair has said it all.

A scratch coat of bonding will be far superior than any of the other products available. It is something we have used for years when dealing with bold artex patterns and shallow make-up depressions etc.

Alastair, noseall.

Thanks again for your help. All went very well yesterday. Thistle/carlite is like sex on a trowel! Really great stuff. Two coats multifinish to finish off. Arms and neck ache like buggery. But is well worth it.

I think I can get used to this plastering scene, very rewarding work indeed.

Thanks again both for help, advice and support.

Cheers

GM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back