plastering woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
plastered over comb effect artex ceiling with thistle bonding then pva and skim coat the next day when I painted it small bubbles appears and the bonding and skim coat separated in 4 or 5 places the rest of it is fine any advice on how to remedy this please cheers

Sponsored Links
it was a little damp in patches not very much though I pva it first gave it 3 coats over 3 hours . I have never heard of a mist coat before what is that

pva is a no no over fresh plaster will trap in any moisture and the paint wont bond a mist coat is 70% paint 30% water

Sponsored Links
But when the plasters got wet from the paint, it's then delaminated, so it obviously hasn't stuck to the bonding properly. I've experienced this problem before when papering, but never got to the bottom of it. The OP definitely shouldn't have PVA'd the wall prior to painting, but oddly, if it had trapped any moisture in, then the pva would have rewetted itself, and that would have stopped the paint sticking to it. The mist coat seals any dust into the new plaster, otherwise the new paint sits on top of the dust, and then peels off after some time.

Pva the bonding prior to skimming then used watered down paint then 2 coats of matt emulsion that when it started coming away wil it b better to take the blistering off pva it and patch it with one coat plaster or take the whole kit an kaboodle down and start again with new boarding

Ah, I think you should have let the first coat of pva go off, then apply a second coat, and then plastered whilst it was still tacky. As you're the one on site, you'll need to judge whether the rest is going to hold, and let you patch the dodgy bits, or if you tap it all over and find other live bits, then that'll tell you how much you need to knock off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back