Ceiling skim...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been asked to skim over a small artexed ceiling. Yes I will PVA then a bond coat first. How soon after the bonding coat can I multi-skim over. Also should I be using one or two coats of bonding.(A fairly deep pattern) Just one other thing I have some unopened plaster which is a few weeks out of date. Would this be OK to use, or should I just get a new bag?

Sponsored Links
Let the bonding coat set/go off. You'll see it darken/change colour. It'll take around an hour n half to 2 hours or so, to set completely. Don't put the multi on before the bonding sets properly, or you'll end up with masses of blisters, which are a pain to flatten. I'd put 2 tight coats of bonding on,,, one after the other, from the same mix if possible,,, that way it'll set at the same time. I quite often use bonding plaster from B&Q, which now and again, is a few weeks out of date. Being kept in that dry environment keeps it ok, but if it's been kept in a damp shed/garage for too long, then forget it, and buy a new bag. Personaly, i don't mind if the out of date plaster goes off a bit quicker than normal, but for someone who's a novice, or a bit unsure, then maybe better to buy a new fresh bag.

If it's small and easily managable then the old plaster may be ok, or perhaps you like a challenge and wanna see how fast you can work? for a fiver I dunno if it's worth the greif to be honest?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back