Belt & braces prep for skimming over artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm considering skimming over my artex ceiling and I'm familiar with most of the potential issues in doing so, but as I am not a plasterer I wanted to check something specific....

I know that some people say pva then skim, and some say thistle bond-it then skim but would there be any issue with doing both as a belt and braces approach..... so pva first and then thistle bond-it, meaning less chance of having missed spots (although at the price of thistle bond-it maybe I should just do two coats of that so I don't waste money by having some left over) ?

Then skim with either multi finish (or perhaps even a half and half mix of thistle bonding + multi-finish as that seems a popular method with apparent benefits).

The main ceiling is 4m x 3m but I plan to try two smaller ceilings in the hallway and on the stair bulkhead first because I haven't skimmed over artex before so if I can't do those to a good standard with zero problems then I won't even attempt the bigger ceiling.

I have skimmed several walls before with not bad results (but only two ceilings, with mixed results).

If I were to overboard instead, I would also need to remove the coving and make good the walls (or refit some coving).

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I would say pva ing, far from belt and braces approach would be more like slackening the belt and releasing the top button but im not a plasterer but I expect some will be along.

I would say pva ing, far from belt and braces approach would be more like slackening the belt and releasing the top button but im not a plasterer but I expect some will be along.

I love your terminology, but surely the pva would seal the artex to prevent it from drawing the moisture out of the skim too quickly ? And I thought thistle bond-it was for "smooth/low suction backgrounds".....what is what I believed I would have after I had pva'd the artex.

I love your terminology, but surely the pva would seal the artex to prevent it from drawing the moisture out of the skim too quickly ? And I thought thistle bond-it was for "smooth/low suction backgrounds".....what is what I believed I would have after I had pva'd the artex.
The Bondit helps with suction as does bluegrit,If I dont use pva I use sbr as its waterproof unlike sbr which softens again when wetted by the Bond-it.
Has the artex been overpainted?

Sponsored Links
Pointless and possibly dodgy doing both, just pick whichever you’re happy working with. I’ve only ever used pva but heard good things about bondit and blue grit. A 3 coat skim is possible over artex depending how thick the pattern is. If pva, get it tacky (as many coats as you need) before skimming

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back