Bit of a lump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,

I have been building a lean to extension.

I drywalled the room, but got a plasterer in to skim it up.

The only problem is a lump in the ceiling, where the lean to meets the external vertical wall.

It looks like i didnt get the boards very level, and it doesnt leave a straight clean edge.

Should the plasterer have spotted this and skimmed it out a bit more to straighten it up. I hadnt spotted this before it was skimmed, but its really obvious now.

Not quite sure what to do?

1. build up the skim and try and feather it in myself, as i could have put the boards on better.
2 Ask the plasterer back to fix it as he should have spotted it.
3. Paint it, and try and hide it buy dropping the ceiling paint line, so it looks straight.

Im worried if i paint it and it looks **** i will have to straighten it up and repaint it?

If i try and feather it in can you put skim on 5-10mm thick or does it crack??
or should i bond it out and then skim??

cheers
A

Sponsored Links
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 122
I thought bump was right above the trickle vent in the left hand pain.

However got the laser out and the spirit level, and it is clear that it dips away, in the left hand corner.

Admittedly it does dip down above the left trickle, but this dip is really splitlli the laser.

I think it's the dip at the left that's making it look really bad.

I suspect if there was more of a gap between the window and the roof it would be less noticeable.

Sponsored Links
Well that mistake is down to you it should have been dubbed out before the skim with bonding however all is not lost you can straighten it out with a bit of skim or skim and easifill easy job for a spread maybe a bit challenging for a novice

Cheers Steve,
I have some 1 year old skim, it's been kept dry and looks alright?

Do I pva the corner before I skim, or jusk skim on.

I have some jointing compound which I could use instead?

Gratefully for some advice.

If your using skim yes PVA but you should be OK using your jointing compound tbh jointing compound is the way to go for a novice, a couple of layers of easifill will do or if you have joint filler bulk it out with that followed by a layer of joint cement /achmes (Edit) if using the later method you only bulk out with filler then coat it with achmes and taper off similar to tape and joint method

Why bother, I think it will look funny when the wall and ceiling are painted different colours.

Do you not?

No, i dont. When the opening below is covered by whatever, and the two walls are painted the same, it will never be noticed without concentrated attention.

No, i dont. When the opening below is covered by whatever, and the two walls are painted the same, it will never be noticed without concentrated attention.
I agree its hardly noticeable but the two walls will be same colour and the ceiling will be a different colour , now the point is adrain knows its there and his eye will keep getting drawn to it when ever he walks in the room if the jobs a good one otherwise(which it looks like it is) he may as well do it for the sake of a couple of hours work he might as well do it and be 100% happy

I'm with ree on this one. Without the laser line I couldn't even see it. Do you have OCD?

It's a bit of an optical illusion.

Without the laser it looks like it dips in the middle, but it's quite clear with the laser that it tips up in the corner.

I'm hoping that when that this is brought down, the illusion will go away, or be minimised.

The entrance to the room is right opposite is on the opposite walls through the old patio doors. So it's smack in the middle of your eyeline.

In reality wouldn't p*ss the Mrs off, but will me. I think it's all the little things that really add up to make it look top notch.

Otherwise plaster is good and flat and a top quality job from the spread, just wish I spotted this before, difference between an amateur and a pro I guess.

It's a bit of an optical illusion.

Without the laser it looks like it dips in the middle, but it's quite clear with the laser that it tips up in the corner.

I'm hoping that when that this is brought down, the illusion will go away, or be minimised.

The entrance to the room is right opposite is on the opposite walls through the old patio doors. So it's smack in the middle of your eyeline.

In reality wouldn't p*ss the Mrs off, but will me. I think it's all the little things that really add up to make it look top notch.

Otherwise plaster is good and flat and a top quality job from the spread, just wish I spotted this before, difference between an amateur and a pro I guess.
i worked for 5-6 years for a partition company skimming their boards and a lot of the time there was huge mistakes I had to get round, I wouldent beat yourself up about that bud looks like u have done a nice job even pro jobs have little snags like that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back