Bit of a odd one

mst

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to replace a radiater today on a gravity fed system, i used the rad valve plugs on the expansion and down pipe to plug system like i have 100s of times and long story short the tank is filled but doesnt seem to be filling the pump.

I took off the pump and it was dry both sides so im guessing its a 3 port valve issue and maybe the ball is stuck somewhere along the line?

There was still water in the tank and pump is running, tapped 3 port and pump, and tryed to open mannully although im not sure if it did move as the lever felt very sloppy. Also blown down expansion pipe to see if there was air.

Whats really baffleing me is that the down pipe goes from the top tank stright down in 15mm and in to the pump so why isnt the water coming down.

Any help would be great thanks. My gut is telling me its something to do with the 3 port valve being stuck?

Thanks ;)

Sponsored Links
Cold feed connection plugged with limescale and corrosion products? If so, cut it out and solder in a new tee. It would indicate a long-standing leak.

Thats what i thought but i put a tee in with a iso valve so i could run it through which was about a metre away from the pump. maybe its blocked a bit closer?!?

Sponsored Links
I am glad I dont have your gut!

Are you a builder?

If I did bets then I would be betting on a blocked feed pipe!

Of course I would have checked that before starting so that I could correctly price the job!

Tony

A nicely blocked feed pipe makes it unnecessary to bother with bungs!

Checked it first :LOL: You must have all the time in the world :LOL:

Kitchen and bathroom fitter.

Thanks for you help gents, you been helpful and i will re-new the down pipe tommrow.

blocked tee at the bottom near the pump. Needs a power flush it seems. thanks for your help :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back