bit of a wet problem on my 406

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
406 coupe 3.0l v6

went through apuddle yesterday(a deep one)
nearly made it but car conked out i got towed home by a freind.

all the electrics work, but when i try and start it just clicks????
and all the electrics reset themselves eg-radio trip computer etc

how can i get my car started its been stood now since 11am monday morning

Sponsored Links
Don't want to scare you but the Diesels had a problem with the air intake bveing too low, hence the engine sucking up water if going through a flood, which usually resulted in timing belt snapping, pistons hitting valves and if really unlucky , conrods coming through the block.

I'd drain the oil and see if there is water in it :cry:

Sponsored Links
on a flat surface - take out the spark plugs, put it in gear and release the handbrake. rock the car back and forth to turn the engine over a few times. if it won't move then you've bent the rods and valves.

If it does move then the next step is to turn it over on the starter motor with the plugs still removed. If the engine turns then you probably have water in a cyclinder preventing it being compressed enough in which case you have to dry out the bores and refit the plugs.

If the engine moves by rocking but won't turn on the starter then you've fried the electrics on the starter motor.

The french are great at putting the air filter intake too low. They should stick to cooking (or protesting) and leave the real jobs to everyone else.

Ron Gamma said:
on a flat surface - take out the spark plugs, put it in gear and release the handbrake. rock the car back and forth to turn the engine over a few times. if it won't move then you've bent the rods and valves.

If it does move then the next step is to turn it over on the starter motor with the plugs still removed. If the engine turns then you probably have water in a cyclinder preventing it being compressed enough in which case you have to dry out the bores and refit the plugs.

If the engine moves by rocking but won't turn on the starter then you've fried the electrics on the starter motor.

The french are great at putting the air filter intake too low. They should stick to cooking (or protesting) and leave the real jobs to everyone else.

cheers ron

had a mechanic freind come out. the airbox was full of water, he stripped the plugs this morn and car started straight away with water flying all over.

sounds a bit groggy though, he said he wasnt sure if engine was damaged or not cos he couldnt see anything once he stripped it all down although he said it may be missfiring.

took it for a drive the clutch peddle keeps bouncing? is this cos its full of water?

and the car seems groggy but its running, should i keep running it and hopes it drys all the water when it gaets warm??????????????

you may have water in the engine which could affect the hydraulic valve gear. this will burn off over time as the engine warms up thoroughly - unless it drops a valve first :eek:

bouncing clutch....? got me there.
could be vibration through the crankshaft from the engine running rough or even rust on the driven plate splines causing it not to locate properly.

Ron gamma, do you know what you are talking about, do you have any mechanical skills. You tell this poor chap that water in the engine will burn off over time as the engine warms up is total Bo**ocks, if there is water in the sump it wants draining now and fitting a new oil filter, can you tell me why it might drop a valve. With regards to the vibration, there may be a bent conrod that causing the problem, I suggest the owner doing a compression test and then tell us the reading. Ron it might be best if you let people who know what they are talking about help the people in trouble.

Bouncing clutch pedal is likely to be too much slack in the cable.

Sponsored Links
Back