Bitten the hybrid bullet!

That's odd? It's a legal (type approval) requirement to have at least a front one (on any car, hybrid, EV, or otherwise). I suspect there will be an irritating pop-out piece in the front bumper or grille area (probably in line with one of the chassis longitudinals), behind which, there will be a captive nut. There should be a loose (and probably left-hand threaded) eye bolt somewhere in the back, with the jack. I suspect that's dealer BS, to be honest. My EV isn't supposed to be towed either, but still needs a towing eye - it's just for dragging them out of the way if they get stuck, rather than for towing them any distance.
I have spotted a towing eye door - or at least that's what I guess it is - on the front bumper below the O/S headlamp.
I can't comment on the truth about towing, I'm just going on what Toyota told me but I suspect you may be right because all of these cars are hybrids.
There is a moulding for the towing eye in the boot, no jack though but I think there may be space for a space saver wheel......the traction battery is under the rear seat so it may be tight.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Mine is a different car, but some versions omit the spare wheel to reduce weight, and you can still put one in yourself

I would be very unhappy with a gloop can.

Sponsored Links
Mine is a different car, but some versions omit the spare wheel to reduce weight, and you can still put one in yourself

I would be very unhappy with a gloop can.
There was no space for one in the Yeti, maybe there is an accessory for this one.
As well as the factory gunge, I also carry a can of the Kwik fit stuff - even on the motorbike but I've never had to use it yet.

That's interesting! I wonder how it decreases warm-up time?
Not a full explanation, but from the Motul datasheet (attached) ...
This very low viscosity grade also improves oil flow at start up, delivers faster oil pressure build up, faster rev raisings and allows reaching operating temperature faster.

Attachments

• hybrid_0w8_en_fr_motul_20200529.pdf
    79.5 KB · Views: 73
Feel free to correct me if I'm mis-informed.
I'm under the impression that tolerances within modern engines have actually increased, from the days when early Japanese imports astounded the UK/European car industry by their tight tolerances, as reduced friction/drag helps lower emissions & makes for greater fuel economy.
Greater tolerances combined with ultra-low viscosity oil must surely lead to high engine oil consumption ?

For sure, there’s nothing wrong with your reasoning......Golf GTi’s around 2012 or thereabouts had horrendous oil consumption.
The secret must be I guess in the design of the oil control ring on the piston.
I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on my oil level.
John

Feel free to correct me if I'm mis-informed.
I'm under the impression that tolerances within modern engines have actually increased, from the days when early Japanese imports astounded the UK/European car industry by their tight tolerances, as reduced friction/drag helps lower emissions & makes for greater fuel economy.
Greater tolerances combined with ultra-low viscosity oil must surely lead to high engine oil consumption ?

If it's the engine bearings that are loose, I don't see how it will.

Presumably the lube is a synthetic type, though cannot see any confirmation of this on the image? Also, does the Yaris Cross have an Atkinson type engine? Thanks.

I can't comment on the oil spec (yet) but the engine will have VVT.
The service interval for these is one year or 10k miles - which isn't really very much these days (about right for me though) and maybe this is done to avoid cold running / turbo issues....I've no idea.
MPG though is computed to be 58.4 up to lunchtime today, but a neighbour used it to cover around 50 miles this afternoon and I do know she tends to boot it along a bit. That's now gone down to 57.1.

Sponsored Links
Back