bitumen & concrete on quarry tiles - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my husband and I have been taking a wire brush against a floor of quarry tiles that we found in our dinning room. We had (and still have in some places) bitumen and self leveling concrete on top of the tiles.

Right now they have a white powder like concrete engrained in them (we're assuming this is salt, or the concrete), and we have endlessly tried to wash it off, and even used detergent, ajax, wirebrush to scrub it off - it doesn't work.

Is there anything people have used that works on quarry tiels? I was thinking about Lithofin Victorian tiled floor restorer, but does this take off concrete and bitumen?

Sponsored Links
I believe that using kerosene will help remove bitumen, but I haven't tried it myself - you might want to try a patch first and see what it does to the tile finish.

If it's cement then you want an acid based brick cleaner. For bitumen use paintbrush cleaner.

joe

Rob Barksfield said:
I believe that using kerosene will help remove bitumen, but I haven't tried it myself - you might want to try a patch first and see what it does to the tile finish.
Yes, kerosene will remove bitumen which turn it into liquid then soak it up with rags. Best to get Odourless Kerosene to stop you going dizzy :!:

All windows should be open and plenty of ventilation.

Sponsored Links
Paintbrush cleaner is better as it is water soluble which means you can wash it off afterwards. Kerosene is waterproof.

joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back