Bizarre Renault Clio starting problem.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted here previously regards this problem......

My car would only start intermittently a few months back. Took around 10 to 30 turns of the key before it would start. It always happened when engine cold (ie 1st thing in the morning). This happened for a couple of months. All ignition lights came on, and radio started, all headlights good and strong, so not the battery. Checked everything, else, earth strap fine, TDC sensor cleaned and fine (doubt this is the cause anyway). All electrical connections seem ok too.
The Solonoid connection is good too. I actually thought this may have been the issue, so a mechanic changed the spade connector to the solonoid and the car has been working fine....up until now. The same problem is back ! (so it wasnt the soloniod connection!!)

The crazy thing is, the car started working fine again prior to me taking the car to the garage a few weeks ago, so the mechanic had little to go on (hence he only changed the soloniod connector, thinking it may have been the cause). I thought this may have solved the problem, but sadly not!
Does anyone have any more clues? Im thinking new starter motor now?? (or a recon.)

Cheers

Mikey

Sponsored Links
When you say not starting, is the engine turning but not firing, or is the starter not turning the engine when you turn the key?

When you say not starting, is the engine turning but not firing, or is the starter not turning the engine when you turn the key?

sorry should have said, the engine is NOT firing. NOTHING is happening. Silence! Just a faint click from the engine area (a relay box?) All ignition lights come on and the immobiliser light goes out correctly, but it wont fire up.

Starter motor problem????

Hi all. Just found this site after Googling for the same symptoms.

My wife's Clio (1.2 '99 model) has done precisely the same thing today. It's done it before but worked after cleaning the solenoid connector.

Now, the AA guy reckons the starter motor is dead, so I'll be doing that job tomorrow if I can get hold of one.

(Oh and should add, I'm not 100% sure the AA man is correct. We couldn't bump start the car, which I think shouldn't have been a problem if the fault is solely with the starter motor).

Sponsored Links
Hi all. Just found this site after Googling for the same symptoms.

My wife's Clio (1.2 '99 model) has done precisely the same thing today. It's done it before but worked after cleaning the solenoid connector.

Now, the AA guy reckons the starter motor is dead, so I'll be doing that job tomorrow if I can get hold of one.

(Oh and should add, I'm not 100% sure the AA man is correct. We couldn't bump start the car, which I think shouldn't have been a problem if the fault is solely with the starter motor).

my car played fine for last week or so but now i had to turn key over 100 times this morning before i started !!!
taking it to garage tomorrow. Im hoping it is the s/motor,

will post back....

My wife's Clio also has starting problem, and it's very intermittent, so i'm not sure a garage is the best option at the moment. Sometimes it will start first time no problem, other times it can take 2 or 3 minutes for the engine to fire. There doesn't seem to be a pattern that I can see, it's a bit of a lottery. The battery is healthy, so when it doesn't start straight away the engine turns over fine. The spark plugs are just over a year old, and the car has low mileage and is used most days for journeys of about 5 miles.

I was thinking that there might be some dirt in the fuel line, that is only sometimes a problem. Interesing about the solenoid, but why would that be intermittent?

Once the engine starts where is no sign of fuel starvation or irregular running.

Has anyone solved this problem?

Battery. Check it under load (battery test). Common symptom for clio.

Then go on to check starter etc.

My wife's Clio also has starting problem, and it's very intermittent, so i'm not sure a garage is the best option at the moment. Sometimes it will start first time no problem, other times it can take 2 or 3 minutes for the engine to fire. There doesn't seem to be a pattern that I can see, it's a bit of a lottery. The battery is healthy, so when it doesn't start straight away the engine turns over fine. The spark plugs are just over a year old, and the car has low mileage and is used most days for journeys of about 5 miles.

I was thinking that there might be some dirt in the fuel line, that is only sometimes a problem. Interesing about the solenoid, but why would that be intermittent?

Once the engine starts where is no sign of fuel starvation or irregular running.

Has anyone solved this problem?

did you manage to find out the problem? i have the same problem with my clio. it fails to fire but it turns the engine over. it sometimes takes 2 turns of the key for the engine to start, other times, 15 turns of the key. once it starts, and when the engine is warm, it starts and goes perfect..
please, let me know if you find out the problem because i have changed the crancshaft sensor (allthough i was sure it wasn't that the problem) and tested another ignition coil.
thank you

Sponsored Links
Back