Bl**dy cooker.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night whilst cooking fathers day dinner of roast lamb and roast potatoes + veg the cooker went BANG and tripped the RCD and local breaker. Found the glass dome cover over the internal lamp had shattered (spraying my dinner with glass) and the lamp inside had separated (glass bulb had come away from brass collar). I ordered the glass dome today from Baumatic and thought I'd replace the lamp simple enough. Got home tonight and changed the lamp only for it to go BANG again. I've removed the top and took the lamp holder out. It's a little black inside but the connections look OK.
I put a 25W 240 MES oven lamp in and tested with a multimeter & got a reading of 180 ohms so guessing it's about right (ie not a dead short). Tested a normal 40W 240V bulb as a comparison a got 110ohms. Tested the oven light circuit with no lamp in and all is fine. Powered up cooked with no lamp in all is fine. As soon as I put a lamp in the holder... BANG!!
So several attempts later no further forward....
What am I missing here.....should I just buy a new lamp holder from Baumatic as well...???

Model: Baumatic BT2391SS (gas hob-electric oven)

Fed Up now......

Sponsored Links
I am going to have to assume that the live is touching the earth or neutral somewhere in the lamp holder. Sometimes happens with condensation build up over time causing the metal work to corrode.

If you can remove the lamp holder and have a real good look around the terminals and contacts.

Hi Leccy...thanks for the reply.

Have tested with a multimeter and there appears to be no short on the holder but thats where the flash comes from when it pops. I'm thinking it must be shorting with the in-rush current....arcing across the insulation within the lamp holder. I have no way of proving it though...

You really need an insulation tester putting 500 volts through it to check for insulation breakdown.

You probably dont want to keep chancing it though as some Baumatics have expensive electronics in them.

Sponsored Links
Think I'll order a new one from Baumatic in the morning. Seems like to much bother to try and resurrect the old one.....just hope the new one fixes it. Might ask one of the sparks at work to test on a Mega-Insulation tester I think they have (ancient thing with a winding handle). It'll prove it ether way...

New parts ordered from Baumatic on Monday.
Delivered this morning.
Fitted this evening.
Roast Lamb cooking.

Job Done.

All hail the ale..... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back