BS EN 60598-1:2000, what constitutes "sheltered location"; or IP44 lights failing !

I'd be interested in how on earth it kept working without a vacuum.

A vacuum isn't necessary, provided there is no oxygen inside the glass then the filament cannot burn. Halogen being one of the many inert gases that can be used to fill the glass and protect the filament.

In the distant past some trickery was used in education of students. The lamp may have been manufactured with water and an inert gas in glass as a "trick" question to encourage the students to think out of the box.

Sponsored Links
Well assuming it had been "in use" as claimed, then it's hard to see how oxygen would not get in. Assuming it wasn't a trick bulb made with water in it, then it must have been able to "breath" for the water to get in. So over time the inert gas would have been expelled a tiny amount at a time as the bulb warmed up (or atmospheric pressure dropped), and atmospheric air drawn in on the other half of the cycle.
So I really cannot see how it could possibly be anything but a trick bulb - which means that the claim that it was taken out of Blackpool Illuminations had to be a lie.

@SimonH2 - Not sure what your budget is but I would recommend these: https://www.festive-lights.com/connectable-lights/festoonpro

The festoons are connectable so you can run everything from one plug, it's not the cheapest type of system and I haven't used this particular product myself but I have been using this company for my Christmas lighting for 15+ years now. I've found their products to be very reliable/good quality and if something does go wrong their customer service is superb.

It's less than twice what I paid for the ones that aren't working out ! Tempting to return the harness as well as the bulbs and try these.
However, the coloured bulbs are white when off which SWMBO doesn't like, and according to the shopping pages they only do multiple colours of GLS shape in E27 though the video says B22 as well.

Sponsored Links
If Tlc let you keep them, i suppose you could solder in 12 volt Leds and run the harness at 12 volt
Regarding water getting in lamps , we used to get calls where water had come through roofs, run down the pendant and was in the lamp and pretty sure the lamp was sometimes still working.

Well the issue is that water gets in, and thanks to the design is clearly causing a short that's putting the light out. It's clearly after the voltage dropping components as it's not getting hot - just going dim or out.
I'm thinking that if I do try and fix things myself, I'd take them apart and clean & lacquer (or equivalent) the boards to insulate them. Then put it back together with a dose of sealant between cap and bulb. Maybe even drop a few beads of silica gel in the bulb for good measure.

An update ...
The other evening it was pleasant as the sun went down, and we ended up sat outside. I put the lights on, and SWMBO almost immediately said "there's a bulb out" - actually there were two. Went and unplugged them, they were "a bit heavier than normal", the red one especially so o_O
See if you can spot the water levels in these photos (apologies, the camera wasn't straight for the blue one) :whistle:
20190827_103854-2.jpg 20190827_103910-2.jpg

Yes, the blue one is about half way up the main bulb, the red one is almost completely full :eek:
I think I'll try just drilling small drain/breather holes in the bottom of all the bulbs - it can't make them any worse :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back