Light bulb keeps dying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lightbulb in the bathroom light socket keeps flickering and dying. It has happened to a few bulbs now. It doesn't happen in the living room with the same type of light fixtures (as frequently).

Can anyone advise what the issue might be that always causes the light bulbs to flicker and die in the bathroom? Do you think it is the fixture itself or the contacts within?

Could the contacts need sanding or something or spraying with coca-cola or vinegar? Obviously not with the light switch pulled down in the on position.

It is costing me quite a lot in these led light bulbs. Speaking of which I think they are designed to fail quickly just like the old incandescent and halogen bulbs but not quite as quickly as they do in my bathroom.

They always lie to you about new green energy-saving technology. They don't do any of the things they are claimed to and the light they output is not as good in quality.

I've taken back quite a few LED bulbs in the past to places I bought them from for a full refund as I kept the receipts and keep a record of how long they last.

The bulbs always fail before they reach the quoted lifespan on the packaging or the guaranteed years.

I have two Osram ones I am waiting to take back when I can and we are out of these restrictions. The packaging says they will last for 15 years so that is my ticket to a full refund and new bulbs.

So far I don't think I have actually paid for many LED bulbs because I keep going back to the store I got them from and getting a full refund and then buying new bulbs often from some place else.

Anyway if you can offer advice on the bathroom issue I'd appreciate it. I think I may just have to use candles in there for now as there is no point putting any more bulbs in there as they will just flicker and die after a very short period of time. I have ruled out that it is the electricity because it is on the same wiring as the living room bulbs I believe.

Sponsored Links
Your living room doesn't have humidity, that's the difference. You need bathroom fittings that are totally enclosed ie humidity'condensation proof.

The packaging says they will last for 15 years

I believe that is the mean time before failure, and assumes suitable environmental conditions i.e. not in a damp bathroom, overheating, covered in coca-cola, etc.

Flickering could be caused by a bad connection in the wiring.

Thanks. I will let the landlord know and see what he says as I don't know whether it will be something I have to do or that they pay for. It is a very old style victorian house. I do not believe it is moisture because it happened when there was no moisture in there and I hadn't run a bath or had a shower. My feeling is that it might be the contacts/connection or wiring.

Regarding the bulbs - to confirm it is the LED bulbs in general that don't last the lifespan they are supposed to in fact nowhere near it. I have been keeping a log of the hours I use them for and when they die. These are the living room bulbs. I've not gotten a refund on the bathroom ones.

Sponsored Links
Can you confirm the cap on the led you are using and the voltage. I am guessing they may be low voltage and being used with old transformers, which will frequently work but badly, frequentlyleading to flickering and early lamp failure. May be woth stating the make of lamp, lots of really poor cheap ones which may also be the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back