LED light bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’ve got a problem with some LED lightbulbs. I’ve tried 3 different bulbs now and always the same result - a strobe disco.

I’m sure we’ve matched them like-for-like with the existing bulbs so can’t understand why they’re flickering so erratically. What am I missing?

The existing bulbs are 5.3mm 5w 36degree led spotlight bulbs. In an ideal world, we’d like to increase the degrees of the bulb (120 ideally) but will accept like for like if we have to.

The second issue is that 1 out of 3 of the fittings only produces a very small amount of light regardless of the bulb. Any ideas? Loose connection somewhere (it is not accessible)?

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What voltage are they?
If 12V, then the drivers / transformers are probably designed for 50W halogens and are not compatible with LEDs.
If 230V then they are either being connected via an incompatible dimmer or there is some other problem with the wiring.

What voltage are they?
If 12V, then the drivers / transformers are probably designed for 50W halogens and are not compatible with LEDs.
If 230V then they are either being connected via an incompatible dimmer or there is some other problem with the wiring.
Thanks for the response.

Both new and old bulbs are 12v, but the new ones flicker and the old ones don’t.

Sponsored Links
22768803-B7AC-4F86-B16E-7C40549302AD.jpeg

B131D35D-F9A7-4602-91A8-3D329ED9CB11.jpeg

Attachments

• 932E3F20-3FEE-4E35-8477-7125F7E9D32C.jpeg
    932E3F20-3FEE-4E35-8477-7125F7E9D32C.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 31
Halogen drivers (like you have) are not suitable for LEDs. Either change them for LED drivers, or much better still replace the LEDs with 240volt types and get rid of the drivers. You will also have to change the lamp holders to GU10.

Often LED bulbs show the watts of the equivalent light output tungsten bulb, so a power supply showing as yours does 20 - 50 watt, needs that load, so you need to add up real wattage, not equivalent wattage.

Also adding diodes to an AC circuit can result in forming radio transmitter, so many LED bulb stipulate 50 Hz, and the unit you show likely in kHz range.

Should use a wire would transformer not an electronic type, or move to low voltage instead (230)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back