LED Lightbulbs - Flickers and goes out (1 out of 10)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I have changed all my lightbulbs in my living room to LED's. They are golfball SES led bulbs from Toolstation, they are not a named brand, so I'm guessing that they are their own make.

I have two fittings with 5 lights in each. I changed the first fitting around a month ago with no problems and all the bulbs are working fine. The second fitting I decided to change a few weeks ago and everything was fine at first.

However, a few hours later I noticed that one of the bulbs had gone out. I order both sets of bulbs online and had them delivered to my house. So, I went to my local Toolstation store and exchanged the faulty bulb. When I put the bulb in the fitting, everything was fine.

Then a few hours later the new bulb started to flicker and went out. The bulb went into the same fitment on the light as before and if I screw the bulb in in or out when the lights are on it will flicker. Sometimes it will continue to flicker for a while and stay out, other times it will just stay out.

I have tried this buld in other lights around my house and its the same. I have tried my other LED lights in this fitment where the lights flicker and these are fime. However, I havent left in a LED buld for more than a minute just i case its the fitment that is damaging the bulbs.

I find it strange because the new and old bulbs in question are from different batches and all the other nine work fine. It seems to be this one fitment but with two different bulbs.

I can't take the bulb back because I dropped it and the plastic casing protecting the LED smashed but the LED part still flickers and it was doing this before I dropped it.

If I put in a normal lightbulb into this fitment, it works normal

Has anybody else had a problem like this or a perhaps a reason why this is happening?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
is it on a dimmer? This might be causing the problem....

If not then it must be the fitting. Try one of the bulbs you know is good fro the other lights and see if you get the same problem. Make sure it's screwed in nice and tight

No, its not on a dimmer, just a normal 2-way circuit.

I'm afraid to try another bulb in that fitting in case that goes as well.

So you have 9 lamps that are known workers, try one.

If it works then the simple fact is you have had 2x duff ones. If the known good one doesn't work you need to have a good visual on the lamp holder, take the adjacent bulb out and see is visually the lamp holders are the same.

You mention screw in, maybe the screw in the lamp holder has somehow become deformed and contact is an issue.

As for dropping one and then re using it, stop keeping with that well known rumour about scots and £££, buy another.

Sponsored Links
Its a possibility that the one lampholder is wired reverse polarity and this is affecting the internal workings of your lamp, theres a few on this forum that know more about the internal workings of Led lamps than myself .

As a secondary thought, since its es check the centre point in the holder.

As you can imagine when the screw of the lamp is turned on to the holder, you have two contact points the screw and the centre point.

The centre point should be silver, if dark or carbon pitted then maybe it's just a hr / high resistance thing and needs a clean.

Isolate the circuit, fabricate a wand of scratch stuff (sand paper) and clean up the contact. Make sure all debris is removed.

I have swapped one of the working lamps and put into the fitment in question and so far its still working after two days. So I guess I must of had two dodgy bulbs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back