Bulb flickers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Like most people I have fitted energy saving light bulbs, but when I switch my hall light off it flickers for a while. I have refitted the orginal bulb and that stays off with no flickering. Putting another energy bulb in and the same happens why?

Confused????

Anthony :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Triumph955 said:
Hi

Like most people I have fitted energy saving light bulbs, but when I switch my hall light off it flickers for a while. I have refitted the orginal bulb and that stays off with no flickering. Putting another energy bulb in and the same happens why?

Confused????

Anthony :rolleyes:

search. been asked many times

in case you cant find anything, its to do with capacitance in the 2-way switch wires. voltage builds up and after a couple of seconds, the bulb tries to spark up, but just flickers. Ours does it all the time. watch it closely at a random time when off, and you will see it probably flickers all the time.

The original bulb i take it is a normal filament lamp. these will let current pass all the time - but the fluorescents have to spark up before the voltage will pass. flickering allows the built up voltage to pass across the tube. completely normal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back