Flickering energy saver bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi 2 way switch one at bottom of stairs the other on top landing , on the top landing the bulb flickers and turns off when switching the bottom light on it also flickers and turns off when I use the top landing switch but it only does this with energy saving bulbs when I use a normal bulb the lights fine sometimes with the energy bulbs it won't turn on at all any clues anyone? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Capacitive coupling between adjacent leads provides sufficient current to cause the flicker. You need an RC suppressor connected across one of the lights

Hi jack thanks for the reply couple of questions where would the RC go and? Is it something I can myself or do I need a sparky? Ànd would this also cure the switch not working sometimes with the low energy bulb? Cheers

If the energy saving bulb is designed to dim, then it will have a leak through resistor built in and unlikely to flash when turned off. However not sure this is the problem here?

With my bedroom the light switch can be remotely controlled either with a stand alone remote or phone or PC, and has no neutral connection, to work it needs current to flow both on and off, to work the electronics of the switch, a 10W LED bulb works fine, but there will be a lower limit, if I remove the bulb completely then the switch auto switches off, I have not found what the lower limit is.

Mine is Energenie which as I say works OK with 10 watt, other makes may need larger bulbs to work, the same applies to a dimmer switch. Although I am not using a dimmer switch, I must use bulbs which can dim to get enough current to flow when switched off to work the switch.

Sponsored Links
Hi Eric it's not a dimmer switch it's a standard 2 way switch at the bottom and a standard single switch at the top if I turn the bottom light on the top light will flicker and sometimes turn off also sometimes the top switch won't turn the bulb on but I have no trouble with normal bulbs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back