Black adhesive on concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just removed old tiles from kitchen floor with a view to laying ceramic tiles,the floor is now thinly coated in a black adhesive that is not wanting to be removed easily, despite throwing everything at it!
I read that a slurry coat is the best way to go, my question is....can I slurry coat straight over the black as is, or does most of it need removing prior to slurry?

Sponsored Links
A posted pic would help?

The black stuff could be either a bitumen adhesive that was used to set the old (ceramic?) tiles - or a DPM substitute to cover the slab surface against any damp.

Is this stuff a hard brittle shell?

Does it have ridges from a notched trowel?

Yes, it's hard And brittle & chips of little by little, also yes there are thin ridges running through it, so it has been troweled on! Any ideas ree?

You can continue to chip it away to leave a clean background - thats a best practice approach.

Or, you can knock off any high spots and then prime, & pour a thin layer of SLC. But first call the SLC Mfr's for further advice ref the bitumen.

Sponsored Links
Also for future reference the tiles you removed probably contained asbestos,Marley tiles i think they are called it was common practise in the 1970s to lay them on a coat of bitumen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back