Black adhesive - something else potentially with asbestos in it...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got myself very worried over the years at all the possible asbestos containing materials hiding in my house and now I've read about asbestos bitumen underneath tiles. I'm in the process of wondering what to do about some hollow/broken tiles and I've noticed this at the edge of some tiles at the bottom of a cupboard. It could just be some adhesive which has attracted a lot of dirt but I also wondered if it's the remains of some asbestos bitumen (which I presume could be still underneath the remainder of the tiles...)

Floor.jpg

Sponsored Links
The old Marley tiles used in the 1960s and 70s (and even into the 80s) used a black bituminous adhesive which often contained small quantities of chrysotile asbestos. TBH the biggest hazard is when people rip tiles out dry (i.e. without damping down with water first and keeping them damp). Left undisturbed and covered over the adhesive and tiles don't normally present a problem

Last edited by a moderator:
The old Marley tiles used in the 1960s and 70s (and even intontht 80s) used a black bituminous adhesive which often contained small quantities of chrysotile asbestos. TBH the biggest hazard is when people rip tiles out dry (i.e.without damping down with water). Left undisturbed and covered over the adhesive and tiles don't present a problem
Thanks for this. I think the tiles are newer than this - but I guess there's no way to know if there was a previous set of tiles fixed with bituminous adhesive which I'm going to find.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back