Asbestos black adhesive on floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I recently (2 weeks ago) put some laminate flooring down to replace carpet. Half the area had some thin tiles on the floor, and the other half had just the black adhesive but no tiles.
I took up the tiles so everything was level (the mostly popped off intact), swept, and then laid down underlay and the laminate, which is now complete.

I've since come to understand that those tiles are very likely containing asbestos, and that the adhesive likely also contains asbestos. I've ordered a test kit to get a sample analysed so that at the very least I know if I can put the tiles I haven't already disposed of in the general rubbish.

My question is - assuming the test comes back positive & given that if I've already poisoned myself & the kids there's not much I can do about it - do I need to pull up the floor so I can seal the old adhesive before putting the flooring back?

I haven't put skirting boards on yet, so it's not the end of the world - but at the same time if the adhesive is now "undisturbed" until I change the flooring again some time in the future, then I'll happily leave the job until then.

I have small children so I'll do whatever needs to be done - but I don't want the logistical headache if I'm just being unnecessarily cautious. I wonder if the floating floor is more mobile than bonded tiles are, and therefore I shouldn't consider the adhesive to be resting "undisturbed".

Any advice from anyone who know about this stuff is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It will be fine. It’s a tiny amount of asbestos and if not grinded into fibres then you don’t have to worry.
you could screed over the adhesive with ardex NA if you wanted to but you won’t have to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back