Black floor convering ? what is it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have repositioned a down stairs toilet and during the excavation i had to got through this 20 mm black material. I am not sure of its purpose other than it could be to match up different floor levels as this is in an extended part of the house. i don't think it is for damp as there is a membrane beneath the 50 mm of concrete floor. The house was built in the 50's and i believe extended in the 60's.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Maybe the dpm has failed because of damp problem so they use the bitumen layer

Masona, I was thinking the same, but stopped short on answering because it seems to be 20mm thick. We only encouter thin layers, but could bitumen be so thick?

WoodYouLike said:
could bitumen be so thick?
Yes, depending what aggregates is use to mix with bitumen such as stone, sand or filler but don't really need 20mm thickness though.

Sponsored Links
So it was not only used as adhesive, but also as a 'bonding' product (but not anymore I hope)

I have been asking around, and a valid reason could be that the floor concrete was quickly poored, and not finished smooth. Then this stuff was used to level, and give a smooth finish which was also thermal barrier.

There is what appears to be a course fibre glass looking mat was laid onto the concrete before the covering was applied.

Thanks for the responses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back