black lines appearing in glaze on basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I have just purchased a new bathroom from B&Q. On Tuesday I checked the cistern was free of visual faults and fitted the pan and cistern. However a couple of hours later, after filling and testing the, toilet for leaks black lines began to appear and run vertically down the cistern from the top. i have checked the cistern inside and out for cracks etc but there are none. These lines seem to be appearing in the white glaze layer.

i have spoken to the manafacturer, who say it must have been knocked when fitting to make the cracks appear, and as it has been fitted it is not returnable. (but there are no cracks only black lines running through the glaze).

i have since fitted the pedestal and basin, these where fine when i fitted them on Wednesday but on Thursday the same type of black lines have begun to appear in the glaze on the basin, (4 different lines at four different locations). After the fuss with the cistern i was extra careful not to knock the basin so i know i have not banged it. The only tap it got was when i shaved on Thursday morning and tapped by razor on it. surely this is not classed as a knock. I would have thought a basin could with stand a tap with a razor.

can anyone tell me what these lines are and if they are, as i suspect, a manafacturing fault with the glaze.

Sponsored Links
You suspect right ..........and if you`d gone to a trade outlet you would have been able to change the parts again+ again as they are coming out like this all the time now :eek: My M8 in the building trade`s just gone through 4 basins + 2 pedastals from a National Builder`s Merchants.I had the same trouble with 2 bogs and 3 showertrays @ home a while ago .Yeah we change them @ no cost TO THE Suppliers :rolleyes: Bang goes any profit :rolleyes: You have my sincere sympathy

Take it back and demand a new one under the sale of goods act if they wont swop

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back