Black liquid behind silicone.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks, new member with a somewhat peculiar issue.

On Saturday past I decided to reseal / re bead two sides of our bath as some of the previous beading had become a little tired looking. I should stress that there were no signs of mould whatsoever.

I stripped out the old silicone, masked the area, cleaned the surface with methylated spirits and applied a new beading. It was quite a tidy job. This evening I noticed what appeared to be a small area of the silicone which appeared to be "lifting" from the bath side surface. I set about removing the offending piece (about 2" in length) only to be faced with loads of a black, viscose sticky, ink like liquid. Please see the attached photos. It seems the "lifting" was actually the black liquid trying to seep out from below the bead. In total I'd estimate the black liquid was evident behind a lenghth of approximately 14" of the beading.

It's like someone left a leaking biro behind the tile!

Have any of the forum members ever experienced anything like this previously?

Grateful for any advice by return.

Bathroom fitted 12 months ago. Bath seated and installed using classi seal and, as stated previously, no evidence of mold spores whatsoever.

IMG_3887.JPG
IMG_3889.JPG

Sponsored Links
Geekazoid, good evening.

One thought, could the Mastic be reacting with the Meths you cleaned the area with, any residual meths may have reacted adversely?

Do you have any of the Mastic remaining in the tube? if so suggest you try an experiment of squirting some Mastic into a sealed poly Bag and add some Meths, but leave it outside? there could be some sort of a violent reaction going on???

Ken.

Hi, Ken.

Thanks for coming back to me.

I think you may be on to something. The Mastic looks ok and came off ok. I think, as you suggest, the meths has reacted with the black adhesive part of the Classi seal tape and I'm left with this mess!

Regards

Paul

Geekazoid, good evening again.

Must admit I know nothing of the "Classi seal tape you mention?" [someone in the Forum may have an insight?] as previous post if you have any left ??? do the same poly bag test on it as well? but leave outside, some Chemical reactions can be severe?

Ken.

Sponsored Links
http://www.classic-marble.com/classi_seal.php

It's only a sketch but it shows the seal tape to be black. Did you apply this tape or did the installing plumber? The diagram shows it to be placed behind the tile line
It could well be bituminous in nature, and as a result, a variety of substances like meths will dissolve it. Helpfully, it should stop dissolving if you can wash the meths out, or dry it out, and a rag soaked in meths will clean the rest of the crap off the bath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back