Black marks on lead flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our lead flashing is loose above a sloping tiles roof at the front. I suspect that's down to the location, very much South facing, and a weak mortar caused by it drying too soon.

I've got some Hall clips and silicone to re-do it all, but I also wish to remove the black marks which seem to be prevalent on the vertical parts of the lead. I can pick at them with my fingernail, but I haven't a clue what they are.

Any ideas?

View media item 100218

Sponsored Links
Use lead mate, looks like lichen..should clean up with a wire brush.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @alastairreid. I think the black stuff is too badly baked on: I tried wire brush, cellulose thinners, acetone and white spirit, all to no avail.

I'll use proper lead sealant, not leadmate I don't think but it's what my local roofing place sells.

If in the trade, mate you could use geocel trade mate roofers seal grey. It costs more than leadmate mate, I like geocel products(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back