Black mould/fungus on emulsion

cpd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a black mould/fungus in my washing room. I think the previous owner used a Tumble Dryer without venting the exhaust outside. Its seems to be fairly stable and Its not growing or spreading. Its not damp to touch it and it does not come off when you rub it with a finger.

The paintwork (emulsion) is flaking off in places and I want to redo all the walls.

Whats the best way to proced?

Sponsored Links
Bleach in water will kill it, or you can buy Mould & Mildew cleaners (which are mostly bleach anyway). Once it is dead you can clean it off. Make sure that ventilation is good.

I'd use a scraper (knife) on the loose paint. Are you sure it's emulsion? there must be a reason it's coming off. Might be dirt; might be matt over silk. How old is the building?

Scrape off the worst...4:1 water bleach mix..scrub it in leave overnight..scrub again and rinse well, if you dont the bleach that remains on the wall could affect the colour of the paint you go over it with.

Sponsored Links
I thinks its a 50s council house. Theres repaired plasterwork near the flaking paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back