Ceiling refurb, lot of black mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I'm just starting refurbing a spare bedroom and I've taken out an old fitted wardrobe that has been in for many many years.
As you can see it's revealed a fair amount of black mould.

The artex ceiling needs work anyway as it looks like the previous owner had gone through the ceiling at the other end of the room (from the loft and poorly patched it up).
I've had a go with a strong bleach solution and sponge on the mould today and it's hardly touched it.

Wondering about next steps...
I was only expecting a tight Bonding coat and reskim.
I could persevere trying to get more off with something stronger before bonding/skim?
Or just cover it with something to seal what's left then bonding/skim?
Or even overboard ceiling and skim (that may get it much flatter anyway).

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Undoubtedly, the sealed compartment of the wardrobe would be a major culprit but
you need to find any contributing causes to the condensation: interior room conditions and/or conditions above in the loft?

Read up the massive amount of condensation threads on here - how to get it and how to cure it.

Undoubtedly, the sealed compartment of the wardrobe would be a major culprit but
you need to find any contributing causes to the condensation: interior room conditions and/or conditions above in the loft?

Read up the massive amount of condensation threads on here - how to get it and how to cure it.

Thanks vinn.

Insulation has been improved in the loft above this area and I'm happy the issue has been fixed.
The question I have now is how best to address the black mould - in plastering terms. Ordinary bleach solution has cleared some, but only minor improvement. Does it need more treatment or just cover with a suitable barrier.
Looking for experience where this has been encountered before and what successful solutions have been applied before/during a replaster.

Why not strip the wall papers and see what condition the plaster is in?

One approach to the ceiling would be to cut out the severe condensation and patch in some fresh board?
Then, after considering the state of the total ceiling, it might be best to board over the whole ceiling and re-skim?

Sponsored Links
Why not strip the wall papers and see what condition the plaster is in?

One approach to the ceiling would be to cut out the severe condensation and patch in some fresh board?
Then, after considering the state of the total ceiling, it might be best to board over the whole ceiling and re-skim?

Thanks vinn.
Hadn't considered the cut out, but that would be a fair option and less board to buy. Guess I may get some debris coming down from the loft, but could live with that.
Maybe could have a go steam stripping the artex to see if it will come off first (wearing a decent mask). That may be half way house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back