Artex cloakroom ceiling - plaster over or plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a refurb of our cloakroom I need to tackle the ceiling. (and btw most grateful to the folks on the plumbling thread who are helping me through that aspect).

Its a small area 2m x 1.1m, Artexed (1976 so might have nasties) and with quite a few screw holes and bits where pelmets over a fluorescent tube, and a fan timer have been. I'll be fitting a couple of downlighters so need to jiggle the electrics around.

I was reconciled to calling in a plasterer (choice A) as that's a skill I don't really have, but it occured to me I could either...

B. screw plasterboard on top of the existing artex (plasterboard screws)
or...
C. rip out the existing artexed plasterboard, sort out the electric wiring and ready it for fitting the downlighters and then screw new plasterboard to the ceiling joists.

First question ...A, B or C? any recommendations?

Second question.... if I fit new plasterboard, fill the screw hole depressions and then prime the ceiling, can I then just paint it, or would it need a skim of plaster anyway? I can do the ceiling with one piece of board.

I've a related question re the wall on the left of the photo, but I'll put that in a new thread tomorrow.

Many thanks for any responses.

Sponsored Links
I was reconciled to calling in a plasterer (choice A) as that's a skill I don't really have, but it occured to me I could either...

B. screw plasterboard on top of the existing artex (plasterboard screws)
or...
C. rip out the existing artexed plasterboard, sort out the electric wiring and ready it for fitting the downlighters and then screw new plasterboard to the ceiling joists.

First question ...A, B or C? any recommendations?

C is the best method, but is messy. B will potentially run into issues with the downlight clips (not all downlights can handle a double thickness of plasterboard).

Second question.... if I fit new plasterboard, fill the screw hole depressions and then prime the ceiling, can I then just paint it, or would it need a skim of plaster anyway? I can do the ceiling with one piece of board.

You can do that, yes. It's not uncommon for plasterboard to simply be filled at the joints (which you won't have) and painted over. The finish isn't as durable, but it's a ceiling. Seal with an oil-based undercoat if you do this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back