Fitting downlights with 2 layer plasterboard ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

The people we bought our house from must have repaired a leak from above the kitchen by fixing another layer of plasterboard on to the existing one and then artexing the new board.

We want to fit downlights to this ceiling but I'm not sure if the springs on the light holders will fit over 2 layers of plasterboard as the depth of plasterboard is around 30mm.

Does anyone have any advice on how to best achieve this - we have a plasterer coming in a couple of weeks to do the walls and ceiling so I need to make sure the lights fit before then.

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Ask a sparky, you will get a better response. Us plasterers don't fit downlighting

I wasn't sure which forum would be best - thanks anyway.
I'll post in the electricians forum.

providing the spots are of a reasonable quality you can fit them over a double board with out issues, generally i cut the hole slightly bigger

so if the cut out is 72mm i cut 74 mm and it fits just fine
good luck

Sponsored Links
I agree with letinman - it shouldn't be an issue. Given that they used to be installed in ceilings with pine T&G boarding over p/b.

If issues of ceiling depth did arise, then you could cut away/expand the upper layer(s) of whatever, and work from the lower/final p/b opening.

Another alternative would be to pin two small off-cuts of p/b and make the req'd cut-out and see if it fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back