Plasterboard Over Artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wish to batten out my ceiling (over artex) ready for plasterboarding with skim finish. The plan was to do the work myself and bring in a plasterer to skim finish for me. Problem is that I can't fix the plasterboards myself as they are too heavy to prop up, so would it cost much extra for the plasterer to do this also? I'd be the one fixing the battens though, ensuring a good level surface for the plasterboards.
So I'm just basically wondering what work is worth doing myself and what work is best left to the pro.

Just to note, I am aware of the potential dangers involving artex. However, I have another room with artex that has been plasterboarded over so I don't see why the same treatment can't be applied on my room, providing I take proper precautions.

I really hate this artex! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Knock off the high spots and re-board the ceiling with 9mm 6 x 3 plaster board.

Andy

Thanks, but I daren't disturb it, just to be on the safe side, just incase it does contain asbestos. I'm confident it will be safe to screw battens through it and into the joists, wearing FFP3 dust mask of course.
Just curious, why would you need to 'knock off the high spots' anyway?

If you don't want the platform then one of these http://www.hss.com/g/69940/Panel-Lifter.html[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Looks handy.

Sponsored Links
Do you really need to plasterboard it? If the ceiling in reasonable good condition then the plasterer will bond it with pva with added small bag of cement really for the skim finish. Speak to a plasterer for advice

Do you really need to plasterboard it? If the ceiling in reasonable good condition then the plasterer will bond it with pva with added small bag of cement really for the skim finish. Speak to a plasterer for advice

Yeah, I've thought about that, but I read somewhere on here a story where the bonding came away from the ceiling in chunks lol
I'll speak to a plasterer about this and see what he/ she can advise. Thanks for advice everyone.

I've done a few artex ceilings. If the relief is not too great (max depth of artex from ceiling) then I would nt try to knock off any high-spots and two close coats of multi-finish over pva is your best option here. How can you be sure your battening is fixed to joists - if it is nt your ceiling boards will pull your battening out and the board seams will show pretty quickly. Im afraid this option does nt make too much sense to me, but good luck if you do it.

As regards battens onto joists, place the battens at right angles to the joists. You can locate joists by drilling or spiking up through the ceiling. Once you establish the first joist ends you will find the rest fairly quickly and draw chalk lines to save having to drill countless holes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back