Ceiling reski old board question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all been reading a while finally decided to sign up!

(great forum btw)

Have some artex reskims to do in my parents house but have noticed on one of the ceilings the board appears to have depressed downwards and left visible outlines

The area is directly underneath the downstairs attic so someone may have been a bit careless when stepping around up there at somepoint lol its the only area with this in it though

Shall I proceed anyway (its light artex stipple) or overboard

many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi Gary and welcome to the Forum.
If the area of ceiling you're talking is not too badly damaged, and the pressure on the boards from above has only "popped" the screws/nails,,, get yourself some 2inch plasterboard screws, then pushing upwards onto the sheet, put "plenty of screws" up into the ceiling joists, to pull the sheet back up into place. You are also in a fortunate position, to be able to go up into the attic and put in some extra noggins/screws in the affected area if required. You'll probably need to check out the old tapes to see if they are damaged,, if so,, just re-tape. After that, it's just a case of PVAing the ceiling and skim while still tacky.

In the worst case scenario, and the area is too badly damaged, just cut out the affected sheet/s, and replace them,, tape, then skim "You shouldn't" have to overboard the whole ceiling because of an area of localised damage.

many thanks roughcaster thats great

btw I have read many of your answers whilst reading through old topics and have learnt a lot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back