Best Bonding agent for skimming artexed ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refurbishing a kitchen and need the old artex ceiling skimmed. The original kitchen had cornice that went up to the ceiling so there are parts of the ceiling that have not been artexed only taped and sealed.
The plasterer has looked at the ceiling which has vinyl paint on the artex and is concerned the plaster may delaminate if he only uses PVA. He advised the best solution would be to overboard the existing ceiling with 9mm plasterboard which would give a better finish and one he could guarantee.
However he is happy to skim the ceiling if I give it a coat of PVA the day before he plasters so he can add a further wet PVA coat on the day.

The ceiling is already very low and the kitchen units which have a 30mm shadow gap at the top are already in production so apart from the delay in getting the ceiling tacked is going to mess up the kitchen layout.

However he mentioned Green PVA and a quick google brought up Cementone Plasterers Stabiliser that appears to have fine sand in it to provide a key for the plaster It also brought up Feb Blue Grit and Bondit Pre Grit which both seem to be similar and Microgobetis which I cant find much info about.
Does anyone have any recommendations which of the above to use for an artexed ceiling. Some are more expensive than others but happy to pay for the right product.
Finally if I paint the whole ceiling with one of the above should I remove any loose paper tape on the un-artexed areas and paint the board with primer and let him scrim over the primer or should the joints be scrimmed first before painting?
Many thanks
Fozzie

Sponsored Links
Any of the bonding agents are good thistle bond it or wba are good wba you can use the same day blue grit has large aggregate , the most important thing to worry about when skimming artex is the artex delaminating from the ceiling if the artex is not stuck properly the heat from the plaster or even the weight can pull it off if the artex is sound and just has the shiny paint to worry about then the Bonding agent is your best bet last year I had a spread send me pics of a job that went wrong the whole lot came down its a call your spread has to make but overboard is overkill for just shiny paint

Any of the bonding agents are good thistle bond it or wba are good wba you can use the same day blue grit has large aggregate , the most important thing to worry about when skimming artex is the artex delaminating from the ceiling if the artex is not stuck properly the heat from the plaster or even the weight can pull it off if the artex is sound and just has the shiny paint to worry about then the Bonding agent is your best bet last year I had a spread send me pics of a job that went wrong the whole lot came down its a call your spread has to make but overboard is overkill for just shiny paint
Many thanks Steve, As far as I can tell the artex is sound.
When you refer to WBA are you talking about Wickes Bonding Agent and Bondit Pregrit as Thistle Bond It?
I read on the Plasters Forum that Blue Grit has large aggregate so might be better to avoid that.
Bondit Plasterers PreGrit seems to come out the cheapest here but as I said I would rather pay more for the best product.

Thanks Again
Fozzie

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back