Skimming over Artex WITHOUT using plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm wanting to flatten an artexed ceiling,unfortunately i have no experience in plastering,however i have over 10 years experience in drylining. (tape/jointing)

Just wanted to know what the best way would be to flatten the ceiling without using any plastering materials.

I know i could re-skim using thick artex and i have seen this done before which does come up in a high quality flat finish.

I'm just wondering what materials i can use which would 100% stick to the artex and not come down on the floor in a few months!

I would prefer to use joint filler,however this is usually applied direct to plasterboard and im not sure about it sticking to artex.

Giving the ceiling a brush over with pva would that make a difference?

Re-boarding or hiring a plasterer or anyone else is not an option.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you’ve had 10 years dry lining, you must be used to taping/skimming/filling the joints & probably even handling a trowel. Get it properly skimmed or have a go yourself, IMO anything else you attempt to cover it with will look totally pants & may not last anyway.

Sponsored Links
If doing it right isn't an option - then don't do it. :rolleyes:

10 years in the trade ,then you should be able to skim over it with your "Caulker".... ;)

Suggestion -seal it with PVA at least the day before, then skim it onto tacky PVA.

If it does not come out okay, use aimes(joint cement , whatever you got from jointing) on it and rub it down !:cool:

I've come across a material called "artex-smooth-it"

Anyone had any experience with this? looks quite good to me and is supposed to be the be designed for skimming over artex.

Also i've thought about p.v.a,would this definitely make the stuff stick though? is it best to skim whilst pva is still wet or should i let it dry completely

After 10 years in the trade? I learned to plaster in 20 minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back