Skimming over artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have an artexed chimney breast to skim,was going to scrape off the the larger bits of artex and flatten it as much as possible then pva and skim with multifinish.Have used this method when refitting bathrooms to go over areas of hard to remove adhesive.Will it be ok over artex??

Sponsored Links
Most old artex ceilings and walls nowadays, are either boarded over, or pva'd and skimmed...It's often the best way. I prefer to put on pva..bonding coat.. and then multi finish, it gives a better backing to work on and covers the old artex easier, but that's my prefered way. Providing the old artex and the substrate are "sound", and it's all properly prepared, you should have no problems.

Roughcaster.

don't mess about scraping and flattening – get on with the pleasure of covering the dam stuff up (I have it on pretty much every ceiling in the house – not by me – it was fashionable – I just don’t know when)

- just remove any loose then either method as roughcaster says depending on how sound it is - bonding coat is a v.good safe option.

Definitely scrape and flatten as much as you can. Simply covering it is plain daft. It'll end up far too thick and far too heavy.

Sponsored Links
Definitely scrape and flatten as much as you can. Simply covering it is plain daft. It'll end up far too thick and far too heavy.

just how much weight do you think you can save by scraping? :confused:

If you use a big scraper you can get the surface almost flat so you only need a couple of light skim coats. If you leave the artex peaks you have to keep applying plaster until they are finally covered - maybe 5 or 6 times the thickness. What do you do for a living?

Definitely scrape and flatten as much as you can. Simply covering it is plain daft.

i'm quite happy to be daft. the 1st artex ceiling i did was a bathroom - i remember it well - yes i scraped and flattened and boy it was sweat and tears and took one hell of a long time to do it properly.

the trouble is for me once started there is a tendency to become sloppy and lower your standards ending up with a less than perfect sub base.

i now stick it straight on everytime the weight is not a problem as long as the sub base is good. if the sub base is no good then it will be a breeze to take the artex off and in this case i would take it off.

in short if it does not want to come off leave it on unless you want the exercise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back