Do I need to bond and skim or just skim to smooth over an artex ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have artex patterns (like this http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/ARTSTILLPLE.jpg) on our ceilings.

We want a smooth finish and it to be painted white but I'm getting a range of quotes and answers as to what's necessary.

Do we need to bond and skim or will only skimming do a good job? I have been told by one he would apply PVA on the ceiling and after a multi-finish(plaster).Would this do a good job?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well handyman link won't let us view it because they say its theft but yes if its stipple make sure they are scraped back I've seen some work where some spreads have made a hash of it and you can see the shadow of the stipple you normally don't need bonding on such a pattern its the spreads call at the end of the day

Depends how heavy the artex pattern is. Your link wouldn't open, so we can't see the example. If it'a heavy deep pattern, then i would use a coat of bonding to level it off. PVA it first, then coat it with bonding right away while the pva is still tacky.You need to be careful as well with old artex, in case it contains asbestos. If the artex is heavy stipple, then you'd need to knock off the large points.
Anyway, to recap. If it's heavy patterened artex, pva, bonding coat, let it set, then finish with multi finish.
If it's a lightly artexed pattern, pva it, then skim onto it right away with multi finish.
A good tip:
If you put some red food colour into the white pva, you can see it very clearly when you roll/apply it onto a white surface. The red food dye turns pva pink, and NO, the pink pva will not bleed through the plaster,, guaranteed!!

Depends how heavy the artex pattern is. Your link wouldn't open, so we can't see the example. If it'a heavy deep pattern, then i would use a coat of bonding to level it off. PVA it first, then coat it with bonding right away while the pva is still tacky.You need to be careful as well with old artex, in case it contains asbestos. If the artex is heavy stipple, then you'd need to knock off the large points.
Anyway, to recap. If it's heavy patterened artex, pva, bonding coat, let it set, then finish with multi finish.
If it's a lightly artexed pattern, pva it, then skim onto it right away with multi finish.
A good tip:
If you put some red food colour into the white pva, you can see it very clearly when you roll/apply it onto a white surface. The red food dye turns pva pink, and NO, the pink pva will not bleed through the plaster,, guaranteed!!

Thanks for the replies. It's an ex-council flat and I've been told it's likely it may contain asbestos so I don't think scraping off is an option. So what I'm unsure of is whether pva and skim with multi finish is enough or if it needs to be a bond and skim job? I've found an image of the flat (attached), would you class this is heavy or lightly patterned? Thanks!

Attachments

• Kitchen artex.jpg
    Kitchen artex.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 671
Sponsored Links
I'd still pva, bond, then skim. PVA, coat of bonding then skim. I personally wouldn't do it any other way.

I'd still pva, bond, then skim. PVA, coat of bonding then skim. I personally wouldn't do it any other way.

Thanks, can you tell me why that is? What is it that the bonding will do, or what is the risk by not bonding?

Any other feedback from others on whether a pva and skim would do a sufficient job or if a bond and skim is needed would be appreciated too!

Thanks

Bonding coat is an undercoat plaster. It bulks out the roughness/thickness of a coat of artex. A very lightly textured artex pattern will cover with a couple of coats of multi finish, but if it's deep, I use bonding coat first, makes the job a bit longer to do, but the end result is good. The last thing you want is for the old artex not to be hidden properly, and ruining the look of the ceiling.

Last edited:
You need to knock the peaks off or you'll have plaster half an inch thick. The reason I use bonding is that it is very easy to use. Multi is like a petulant child.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back