black mould growing inside new garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I have recently just finished my garage and last couple weeks I have noticed loads of black mould spots appearing over the entire of the inside roof on the osb. The areas are worse above the doors and back edge where
The upvc clad is. I have had the floor layed about month and half ago and just finished painting the walls. I have not painted the floor.

I'm really not sure how to go about fixing it but I think maybe it needs an air inlet and outlet? It's got metal doors so they do draft.

The roof is a sloped epdm type.

I have included a picture.

Attachments

• image:15714.jpg
    image:15714.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 352
Sponsored Links
The cause will just be the level of moisture still within the garage.

Probably will have to wait until the warmer months before sorting out any problems, I would be looking at using exterior paints if you haven't already done so as these will work against any mould growth on the colder spots of the walls and underside of the roof, or insulation and board over would probably help a lot.
Im no expert on the ins and outs of insulation so advice from someone else would be better if you decided to go down that route.
Ultimately it probably is all down to just being new and still not fully dried out.

Right, so it shouldn't be a big problem. This weekend I think I will cut a 4inch hole and put a vent either end of the garage high up just to help it.

Thanks for your help!

Right, so it shouldn't be a big problem. This weekend I think I will cut a 4inch hole and put a vent either end of the garage high up just to help it.

Thanks for your help!
No problem, try to keep on top of the mould if you can, clean with diluted bleach.

Sponsored Links
I will get onto it this weekend with the bleech. It's turning up at an alarming rate. Including the new joists.

I'm thinking of putting a 4" extractor in that's setup on a timer or humidity setting at one end and a 4inch vent at other end. Near to top of ceiling. Is this a bad idea?

A couple of vents could be helpful, opposite ends of the garage so there's a constant airflow, wouldn't think an extractor would be to benificial.

I have 6 little vents on mine, 2 each side and 2 on the back. We never get mould in there but the roof is felted and tiled so that probably vents a bit too.

You can just make the vents out on this pic:
image.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back