Black mould on bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom ceiling has been suffering from black mould for quite some time, the ceiling was previously painted white emulsion. I've used some Dettox mildew remover spray and it has shifted a lot but in some places even with 4 applications the black stain has changed to a light brown. I am fearful of merely painting white emulsion over the ceiling as it currently is. A friend suggested I paint the ceiling firstly with a white oil undercoat and when that has dried use white emulsion. Is this a good idea ? I dont want to paint the ceiling white emulsion again for the black to return. Any help will be appreciated - thanks

Sponsored Links
You needto check your vetilation and air flow in the bathroom..

But its a common problem...emulsion over undercoat is ok but youll need to leat the undercoat cure for at least a week...go for an acrylic eggshell on the ceiling, its easier to wipe down

Oh and the stain may have bene caused by the dettox stuff itself reacting with the paint.

i agree that you need some type of ventilation in your bathroom, other wise the mold will just return, giving it a clean with mold remover is a step in the right direction, get as much of it off as you can, and i`d advise buying some expensive kitchen and bathroom paint, most of these are mold resistant, so long term, the expense now will save you in the long run.

Sponsored Links
Wasting your time Lee...you probably wont get an answer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back