mould + mildew

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got a property and the bathroom has mould/mildew on the walls/ceiling.

Cleaning with a mildew cleaner doesnt remove it all.

It seems to occur due to steam from bath.

what is the best way to remove it, cure it in order for me to paint over it again?

I think when it was last painted, the paint was normal emulsion and not proper bathroom paint

any help appreciated.

EDIT : forgot to mention, when painted before the paint comes away.

Sponsored Links
Household bleach kills mould. However, I'm wondering if this is an internal bathroom? Baths and showers create steam and if the steam isn't removed by natural ventilation, you need a powerful extractor fan. I believe that in a newbuild, regs now require an extraction rate of around 80 square metres per hour. Also worth remembering is that a warm bathroom can cope with steam better in the short term than a cold one in which steam instantly condenses on every cool surface.

If your budget will run to it, tile all the walls. That will take care of condensation better than any paint.

NickStone said:
Household bleach kills mould. However, I'm wondering if this is an internal bathroom? Baths and showers create steam and if the steam isn't removed by natural ventilation, you need a powerful extractor fan. I believe that in a newbuild, regs now require an extraction rate of around 80 square metres per hour. Also worth remembering is that a warm bathroom can cope with steam better in the short term than a cold one in which steam instantly condenses on every cool surface.

If your budget will run to it, tile all the walls. That will take care of condensation better than any paint.

external bathroom - an extension done about 15yrs ago.

not enough to tile it all, reading around i was thinking of cleaning it all the mildew off, drying it and then painting it with an oil based paint or something with a silk sheen

Sponsored Links
Mm - I'm no expert but I'd guess this bathroom gets quite cold. A silk finish will still get wet. I've just bought a flat with silk finish walls and they used to run with water after a shower. I installed a super-efficient extractor and it's a lot better. Re cost, bumpy white tiles from Homebase or B & Q are cheap and look good. You might also consider an underfloor heating mat if you're planning on tiling the floor. This will help keep the room at an even temperature, which will help the condensation. Maybe one of the pros will have better ideas. Guys, are you out there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back