Black n Decker Workbench - a signature piece of kit

Sponsored Links
Yep I had an original one 30 odd years ago. I did replace the wooden jaws but the screw bits wear etc. I chucked that a couple of years ago and bought a new one but they are not anywhere near as good. I cannot see this one lasting much more than a couple of years. If the metalwork and the adjusting screws are still good on yours then, as said, it would be far better to replace the wooden jaws. A decent bit of 18 mil ply should do it but do not buy the chinese cr@p.

got 2 workmates. good but too heavy for my liking . normally end up using the 15 quid challenge jobby I bought from argos. light cheap ****e , but does the job .

I have the second to first version, all steel, with the folding legs for two heights. It is in need of four new plastic foot shoes. It was gifted to me following a friends death. I already had a cheap Challenge one, so I passed that on.

Sponsored Links
I still have mine in the garage. I bought that about 25 years ago. Apart from this year(obviously) and last year, for the previous 8 years or so it had a 3’6” x 3’6” piece of MDF screwed to the top of it and was used as an extension to our dining table at Christmas when we had the family over as it was just the right height and wasn’t noticeable with a cloth over it. We replaced the table a couple of years ago and I started using it again in the lockdown when I made a bin store. I totally forgot how handy it was for holding wood when sawing - I’d been using my wheelie bin for years as my saw table!

I still have mine in the garage. I bought that about 25 years ago. Apart from this year(obviously) and last year, for the previous 8 years or so it had a 3’6” x 3’6” piece of MDF screwed to the top of it and was used as an extension to our dining table at Christmas when we had the family over as it was just the right height and wasn’t noticeable with a cloth over it. We replaced the table a couple of years ago and I started using it again in the lockdown when I made a bin store. I totally forgot how handy it was for holding wood when sawing - I’d been using my wheelie bin for years as my saw table!

Mine hasn't had much use over the years in my ownership. I have a heavy duty picnic table just out side my workshop door, which doubles as an outdoor workbench. When I replaced the old flush interior doors a few years ago, I kept them - they make great portable table top or bench, combined with a pair of those fold up Lidl plastic stands. We have a big kitchen /dinner. With one of those folding leaf tables, fully expanded it can seat 6 easily, 8 at a pinch. One of the doors I have used as a rough desk/ workbench, with a filing cabinet for supports at each end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back