black & decker????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: does anyone think that black & decker products have gone downhill?
this xmas my wife bought me a b&d workmate (about £70 ) so it was'nt a cheapo one!
had to assemble it myself but was'nt a problem till i noticed the 2 wood slats were different,one had markings on one side & the grooves did'nt match up?
also the front panel angles up 90 degrees to hold doors etc...
try clamping a bit of wood on it and theres about 1" movement up & down?also the rear panel has some bolts so that you can take them out & greatly widen the gap,this works o.k. till you try to clamp something that is not square.i.e. one side comes undone & has to be BOLTED down every time you want to adjust it?
I'm sure the old models used to open really wide on the screw mechanism?
all in all a load of c**p,i'm of to buy a cheapo one & save my skinned knuckles etc...
p.s.
got a orange 18v cordless hammer drill (£100),i unplug the battery when not in use & to drain battery put elastic band on trigger to completely flatten it but performane is only equal to b&q own brands etc...
I don't want to sound as if i'm slagging off b&d but you get what you pay for!!!!!
any feed back would be appreciated.
dissalusioned diyer.[/b]

Sponsored Links
b&d are a diy. make no mistake about that. I think there not what they used to be. surprised about the workmate though. i have one myself for light diy around the house and find it quite good. In power tools bosch (blue)de walt, makita, hilti, milwalkee are the leaders but there is a big difference in price.

alot of tools are going down hill now,reason is the makers try to cut labour cost and send everything to china,big mistake for companies who have built up a reputation over many years.most of the tools made there are garbage.Even computer stuff has gone down hill for the same reason,maybe they will make plastic drill bits next.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys, I have an 18v B&D Firestorm drill (£70) for B&Q. Works really well had no trouble at-all. I agree with BR, B&D stuff is for occasional DIY Use Like Bosch (Green), The likes of Bosch(Blue), Makita & Dewalt( B&D Professional Range) Cost more than Twice as much because they have been designed to last every day Use. About the Workmate I would complain to B&D as I have a 10 yr one one & it works faultlessly.

I have never found anything by B&D to be any use whatsoever. I have had quite a few of them over the years (invariably xmas or birthday gifts). I've had a few Jigsaws. Each one ends up with something breaking, making it impossible to ever fit another blade.

I've had a couple of circular saws. You can never quite get the footplate to 90 degrees with respect to the blade. The blades always wobble, and they make a hell of a lot of noise before you even put them on the wood.

My brother bought a workmate when they first came out. I had a look at it and derided it's cheep materials and sloppy construction. This caused quite a disagreement between us at the time. About a week later, I had a job where I thought it may come in handy. So I humbly went cap in hand to ask for the loan of it. Rather sheepishly he told me, that both the handles had broken, and there were a few screws missing (they had frequently fallen out and then, the threads stripped as he had tried doing them up tighter). So it wasn't very stable, and I'd have to use a pair of pliers to tighten it up, but I was welcome to borrow it. Nah, I don't think so.

As for Orbital sanders! I get more abrasion wiping my @rse. Perhaps their saving grace is the "powerfile". I've found no end of uses for this gizmo. The belts slip off with annoying frequency. The tip has to be fully adjusted to one side, just to get it to run square. The belts cost well OTT for what they are. They have cunningly designed it to use belts 5mm smaller than standard belt sanders. (this stops you buying wide belts and cutting them down). I have found this to be such a useful tool that I have to forgive the poor build quality.

Oh and I've also got a 750W B&D power drill that was a gift from my mate around 1980ish. It went missing for a couple of years, (till a neighbour remembered it was mine). It now serves as the power source for a home made tile cutter. From the paultry power it delivers, you'd never believe the 750W label, but it has been getting abuse, in one form or another, for over 20 years now and it still has no slack in the bearings.

So I can honestly say, I have never bought a Black and Decker tool, and probably never will. I have a green Bosch drill that I bought just as keyless chucks first came out. I still abuse this on a regular basis, but it just keeps going.

BTW
I've been told that the B&Q Pro range of power tools, are actually made by Makita! Can anyone confirm this? If they are, they seem excedingly good value for money. I'm having a hard job swallowing this one.

TexMex said:
BTW
I've been told that the B&Q Pro range of power tools, are actually made by Makita! Can anyone confirm this? If they are, they seem excedingly good value for money. I'm having a hard job swallowing this one.

I think you'll find that B&D are owned by De Walt. (Or is it the other way round?)

lets bung elu (if thats how its spelt) into the equation

I used to have an Elu router. Nice powerful 1/2" job. My brother used to use it for chasing walls for electrical instalations. (Now that's what you call abuse.) I borrowed it back from him on one occasion for knocking up some window frames for a shed. The bearings showed absolutely no sign of wear whatsoever.

Are Elu still going. I wouldn't mind another one of them. It was a bit on the heavy side though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back