Black Outside Pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of a plastic pipe which can be fixed along a wall to provide garden watering supply during the summer? It would be emptied for the winter. It's a long garden.
Copper's too much trouble, and we don't want it to be too noticeable. Most of the garden hoses you see are bright colours. Grey hep would show too much too.
So it's black or dark dark green or brown.

??

I'm asking now, because by the time I get round to installing it, it WILL be summer...

Sponsored Links
Chris black 20mm MDPE or Hoselock (there are also other makes!) 15mm black irrigation hose.

With the latter it does expand in the sun and droops a bit!

Thanks - didn't know there was black mdpe!
100m of 25mm should do it.

Sponsored Links
Maybe its too obvious but why not use any colour and paint it?

Tony

black irrigation pipes best as you can get the proper irrigation fittings etc and they all push together.
irrigation fittings won't fit onto speedfit,hep etc.

Why paint 80m of pipe if you can buy it the right colour , and it's very cheap!

In view of the length I thought 15mm would be a unnecessarily restrictive, though I suppose irrigation pipe comes in bigger sizes, tbh I haven't looked yet.
They want a point to attach a watering hose really, so mdpe > bib tap would be fine.

irrigation fittings won't fit onto speedfit,hep etc.
What DO they fit?!!

What DO they fit?!!
They are a 'system' to themselves. They push onto Tee's, elbows etc that are a tight sliding fit in the pipe but have a type of ramp moulded onto them.

You would be better of with MDPE. Black is UV stabalised so ok in sun. Standard fittings fit plus probably cheaper than irrigation pipe and fittings and will no doubt last longer.

as alan said if you only intend on a bib tap on the end don't use irrigation
pipe.

going by the post you was installing an irrigation system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back