Black tar like edging on old floorboards....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while ago i sanded the floorboards in an old property built in the victorian era.
Around the edge of the floorboards was a wide black edging of paint or a tar-like substance that was very hard to remove. I eventually removed most of it and varnished the floor.
I was reading about the presence of asbestos in some bitumen based products used as lino or carpet adhesive, so i am a bit concerned that i have exposed myself to asbestos whilst sanding the floor.
However, i have also seen on some websites that a thick black edging was the norm in victorian houses and may have been a a thick paint rather than bitumen.
Anybody encountered this?

Sponsored Links
Probably a thick paint that is "lead based" hope you wore your mask.. not quite lethal but still unhealthy.. Very common if victorian housing.

This old topic is current with me. I wasted a lot of energy sanding off this black stuff. There is still plenty left. I clogged up about ten coarse discs with it. Trying to be more scientific I tested the hot air gun on low setting and it really is easy to remove. The low setting will not scorch wood after removing paint. But I read yesterday that Coal Tar paint --which this might be --is a class 1 Carcinogenic . So warming it up may not be such a good idea . Also the Historic Renovation people still seem to use this kind of paint. So there`s a few interesting possibilities to sort out .It may be safe . Depends what it really is but sanding off is just as bad as warming it up . Maybe keep the windows open and use a fan blowing it away would be best .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back