Blagdon Powersafe Switch box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Blagdon Powersafe switch box in my garden for a filter and pump for my pond. I have power to it (the red standby light is on), but when I push a switch to turn either the pump or filter on all the red lights go out and neither the pump or filter work. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I have a Blagdon Powersafe switch box in my garden for a filter and pump for my pond. I have power to it (the red standby light is on), but when I push a switch to turn either the pump or filter on all the red lights go out and neither the pump or filter work. Any ideas?

If its within warranty take it back to the shop you bought it from or contact the manufacturers.
Alternatively, speak to Ban-all-Sheds he has certain views on this equipment.

When you switch them off again, do the red lights come back?

Tim

Sponsored Links
So it's not tripping an RCD. Try plugging a desk lamp into it and see if it comes on, even very dimly. It could be massive voltage drop under load, enough to kill the neon. What voltage does a neon need to ignite?

Has it ever worked or is this a newly installed one that has never worked. ?

Possibly due to incorrect installation ?

What voltage does a neon need to ignite?

Some will "ignite" at 50 volts. The strike voltage is very variable and is even affected by how much light is falling on the neon gas ( light ionises the neon gas and reduces the voltage necessary to strike the neon. )

So it's not tripping an RCD. Try plugging a desk lamp into it and see if it comes on, even very dimly. It could be massive voltage drop under load, enough to kill the neon. What voltage does a neon need to ignite?

I'll give this a go and see what happens.

Has it ever worked or is this a newly installed one that has never worked. ?

Possibly due to incorrect installation ?

What voltage does a neon need to ignite?

Some will "ignite" at 50 volts. The strike voltage is very variable and is even affected by how much light is falling on the neon gas ( light ionises the neon gas and reduces the voltage necessary to strike the neon. )

It's a new installation that's never worked. I'm pretty sure it's installed correctly but I will check it again. Cheers.

Because you have views on the quality/integrity of this equipment - which I agree with - and you have reported the company to the ASA.
And indeed the suitability of the installation method, which may well be the problem here.

My first thought would be that the neutral is not connected at the supply end inside the house . Capacity between the conductors will pull the un-connected neutral conductor to somewhere close to the mid point between 230 volt from the live conductor and circa 0 volts from the earth conductor. Putting the Neutral at about 115 volts from the 230 volt Live which will be enough to strike the neon even though the neutral is not connected. Current in the neon is so small it will continue to glow on the capacitive coupled current

Now the dangerous bit. When you switch something on at that socket the neutral will be connected to Live via the appliance switch on. The Neutral is now live and as dangerous as the live conductor.

Because you have views on the quality/integrity of this equipment - which I agree with - and you have reported the company to the ASA.
So shall we take the fact that you will not be able to find a single post of mine where I even mention this equipment, let alone express a view on it, as confirmation that at no point did you actually understand anything I was saying about their statements about their power supply kit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back