Blank off, or add a loop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a spur coming down vertically from under the first floor (floor) into the kitchen that feeds two rads and then loops back up into the ceiling.

I have tested that all rads get hot when I turn these two off.

I am removing both rads, moving the spur piping so It's less obtrusive and fitting a new single rad in place. I am going to drain the system, cut the spurs so I can remove both rads and fix up/decorate the wall behind.

I am going to do this before I have a new boiler fitted in a couple of weeks and the new rad will go in at the same time - engineer is doing the plumbing to put the rad back in.

I need a temporary blank on the spur so I can re-fill and use the heating for a couple of weeks until the replacement. I was going to use blank ends, but thinking about it, will I be creating air locks in the pipework if I simply have essentially two long blanked off tails coming down vertically (about 2.6 metres), or will the air be able to sort itself out?

I was considering using some plastic pipe to loop from the down pipe into the up pipe (instead of just blanking off both ends) of the spur so there is a flow to reduce any air pockets, but this might make it worse?

Would it be sensible to use a loop instead of just blanking the ends, and if there was an air pocket, does it really matter as it will all be drained and re-fitted in a few weeks anyways?

Sorry for the long winded description - trying to give as much info as possible!

Sponsored Links
Shouldnt cause a problem. No different to the rad(s) being removed for decorating, then refitted. You could just turn the valves off each end, remove the rads, and leave the pipework in situ until your plumber comes if it wont get in the way. Would save you draining entire system down until necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back