problems after removing radiator & replacing the smaller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I removed a large radiator in my kitchen & replaced a smaller one in the kitchen with it after draining the system
I cut the pipes to the large radiator & blanked the pipes off I then extended the pipe using a straight to enable me to fit the large rad in place of the small one
I refilled the system ,bled the rads,but the replaced rad is cold as is one in the living room the other is ok, bedrooms are ok, toilet ok, hall ok,
what i am wondering is should I have looped the pipes rather then blanking them?
Help please

Sponsored Links
A few possibilities,

1) The kithen and living room radiators may have been set up on a radial circuit..ie. in one out the same, in another out another and so on. If this is the case then yes you should have looped your capped pipes.

2) Was the radiator removed in the kitchen back to back with the one in the living room? If so you may have cut the radiator out of the system that may have been feeding the 2 which now do not work. So again you would have to loop the pipes you had capped.

QUESTION Has there been occasions where you have turned of any of the three radiators in the past and has affected any of the others?

QUESTION Has there been occasions where you have turned of any of the three radiators in the past and has affected any of the others?

No I havent turned off any of these rads before

1) The kithen and living room radiators may have been set up on a radial circuit..ie. in one out the same, in another out another and so on. If this is the case then yes you should have looped your capped pipes.

2) Was the radiator removed in the kitchen back to back with the one in the living room? If so you may have cut the radiator out of the system that may have been feeding the 2 which now do not work. So again you would have to loop the pipes you had capped.

The pipes I blanked off certainly seem to run towards the living room radiator so I am guessing that I would need to loop them instead of the blanking off

Thanks I will give that a try at the weekend & post the results on here hopefully it will work ;)

Sponsored Links
Could just be airlock, is it a pressurised system (combi/system boiler), or open vented?

Do the cold rads have drain offs on them?, if not crack open the unions and let some water through untill the water gets hot then tighten back up.

More info on sytem please, boiler, pipe size - microbore?

is it a pressurised system (combi/system boiler), or open vented?
More info on sytem please, boiler, pipe size - microbore?
Must be open vented ...not combi boiler... header tank in roof space,firebird oil boiler can also use open fire with back boiler if that helps :oops:
pipe size 10mm
dont know what you mean by microbore sorry
No drain offs on rads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back