Radiator removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looking for an opinion, I got a large radiator in a room that has already got one and that is surplus to requirements. I like to remove this and installed it in another room which has only got a small radiator.
My system is a non-pressurized one with a standard oil boiler, can I just remove the radiator cap the ends and extend the upstairs pipes to fit the new size, or do I have to connect the in and out pipes and drain and refill the system?

Sponsored Links
1. To cap the ends of the pipes currently leading to the large radiator to be removed, you will have to remove the valves. To remove the valves you will need to freeze, "bung" or drain down.
2. Not sure what you mean by "connect the in and out pipes", but if you mean join the flow and return pipes for the radiator being removed, then no, you mustn't join them.
3. It is not good practice to merely cap the ends of a radiator. You should go back to the point where the pipes feeding that radiator join the main system and cap them there or replace tee's with couplers. Pipes with no flow are "dead legs" and can lead to poor water quality and in some circumstances, air locks.
4. For the radiator being replaced you wil have to remove the valves to extend the pipes, so again you need to freeze, "bung" or drain down.
5. Given that you are working on two radiators, then unless you have access to an electric freezer, and are reasonably experienced with plumbing / pipework I would strongly recommend you drain down.
6. If you drain down, empty the F&E tank and clean it before draining, otherwise you risk washing any muck it contains into the pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back