Blanking off pipes for a radiator no longer needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The radiator in our kitchen is no longer needed and I need to do something with the pipes.

2.jpg

After draining the central heating system, I was planning to cut the left hand pipe (shown below) with a pipe cutter (chipping away the wall plaster if necessary) and fitting a push on end cap. Re-plastering and skirting would then be fitted.

3.jpg

On the right hand pipe, I was going to remove the push on joint but I still want to have the drainage tap, so was going to re-position that at the 90 deg joint. I was planning to box this in afterwards (removable for future system drains)

1.jpg

Is this the way it should be done or can anyone advise a better solution to doing away with the old pipes?

Thanks in advance guys,

Ade

Sponsored Links
Joints that are not accessible for instpection should only be soldered.

Do the pipes go right through the wall? If so can you cut them the other side.
I would use a solder cap if plastering over it. If you're not happy about soldering could you extend your proposed boxing to cover both pipes.

Sponsored Links
bengasman - thanks, you confirmed a niggling suspicion I had about not soldering hidden joints...especially as the joint will be near a floor with electric underfloor heating!

Mick - the pipes do indeed go through the wall to another radiator (in the lounge).

I've decided to replace the radiator on the other side of the wall shown in the pics and at the same time, fit a drainage tap that side and remove the redundant pipe work shown altogether.

Thanks for your help guys.

Ade

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back