Bleeding HW cylinder loop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Just asking if the valve in the attached photo is for bleeding the hot water tank loop of the heating?

When I unscrew the top no water or air comes out. Is this right?

The top of the pipe is not hot unlike the rest of the pipe, suggesting that it’s full of air.

Attachments

• EDC32A39-8BC7-408E-8B20-B8B7C227F22F.jpeg
    EDC32A39-8BC7-408E-8B20-B8B7C227F22F.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
That's the air vent valve - but the little rubber washer inside might be stuck down - so you unscrew the brass cap and nothing happens

Thanks for the reply.

If I unscrew it fully and remove the cap there’s a rubber seal in the cap but no water comes out. Is there something in the top of the valve that’s stuck or blocked?

Should I poke at the hole with a paper lip or something?

You could do that - best to do it with the system cold - just in case you get a squirt of water in your face ;)

Sponsored Links
And put a towel underneath and plenty of light... Do not lose the rubber washer - they have a habit of flying off when pressure gets released and disappear under the floorboards :cautious:

Thanks folks.

Poked the hole with one of my wife’s hairpins. So much air and evil looking black water in there.

Let’s see if that makes a difference to the hot water circuit!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back