Bleeding radiator too often

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks, I did quick search, couldn't find anything to quickly answer this, so hope some nice plumber can assist. I work in Financial Services :D

I have to bleed the upstairs bathroom towel rail often, prob once per month as the top half is cool when the lower half is hot. All other rads in house are fine, upstairs and down. It's only the towel rail. The hot water tank is also in the bathroom. It's a grundfos pump. Gravity fed, cold water tank in loft.

Any reason why only this radiator lets air in? Any quick solution? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't let air in, water would be leaking out if it had a leak. The insides of your steel radiators are probably oxidising and hydrogen gas is forming. Hold a light to the bleed valve next time you bleed and a small flame will confirm, see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMjYnTGV9ks

Try increasing the dosage of Fernox, an antioxidant, in the system. Give it a few weeks to settle down.

(Possibly the system is pulling in air at the top in the F&E tank but I would go for the hydrogen option first)

That's £100 for the advice, please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back